Sleep Disorders are a condition in which you have the irresistible urge to move the legs (restless legs syndrome), snoring to the point you can't sleep, sleep apnea, insomnia, jet lag, and sleep deprivation. This can also include night terrors, narcolepsy, and sleepwalking.
Over 20% of Americans may suffer from chronic sleep loss or untreated sleep disorders and more than 1,500 deaths a year are caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
Most Common Sleep Disorders
- Restless legs syndrome - irresistible urge to move your legs in the evenings
- Insomnia - ongoing problems with falling and asleep
- Sleep apnea - intermittent airflow blockage during sleep
- Narcolepsy - a chronic sleep disorder that causes drowsiness during the daytime
Facts about Sleep Disorders
• Not getting enough sleep can cause weight gain, headaches, high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, an impaired immune system, and attention deficit disorder.
• On average most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
• Women usually sleep more than men.
• A 30-minute workout each day correlates with 14 extra minutes of sleep per night.
Warning Signs of Sleeping Disorders
- Trouble falling asleep - consistently taking more than 30 minutes to fall asleep
- Fatigue and irritability - even after getting seven or eight hours of sleep a night, still feeling fatigued and irritable during the day
- Trouble staying awake - having issues making it throughout the day without feeling exhausted or needing a nap
- Snoring - loud snoring, breathing or gasping noises while you sleep
Do you snore, gasp, or stop breathing while asleep?
Do you have restless legs?
Do you act out your dreams?
Do you exhibit bizarre or violent behavior in sleep?
Are you excessively sleepy during the day?
Do you have hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, stroke or depression?
Treatment for Sleeping Disorders
Treatment for Sleep Disorders can include seeing a neurologist, medications, surgery, or sleep treatment plans. If you are suffering from a sleeping disorder, contact First Choice Neurology. We have 3 Sleep Centers located in Florida. First Choice Neurology partners with Baptist Sleep Centers to offer the finest care in Sleep Diagnostic Testing. We provide day and night sleep studies. Our Sleep Centers offer diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders, including sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, nocturnal behavior disorders, and narcolepsy.