Patricio S. Espinosa, MD
Dr. Patricio S. Espinosa
Patricio S. Espinosa, MD is a leading Neurologist with expertise in complex neurological conditions.
Dr. Espinosa received his Medical Degree from Universidad Central del Ecuador in 2000. He was the recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship to complete a Masters’ Degree in Public Health from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD in 2002. In 2003, he completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Dementia at the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at the University of Kentucky followed by an internship and residency in Neurology at the University of Kentucky where he served as Chief Resident in the Department of Neurology. He completed a Fellowship in Neurophysiology, Epilepsy and Sleep Disorders at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA in 2008.
Dr. Patricio S. Espinosa is board-certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology since 2009 and has been conducting clinical trials since 2001 at the University of Kentucky, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, North Oaks Hospital, LA, ECommunity Research, LLC, LA, and at the Marcus Neuroscience Institute Boca Regional Hospital.
He was the Director of the Neurology Division of the Neuroscience Institute at North Oaks Hospital in Hammond, LA from 2012 until 2015. He was the founding Chief of the Neurology of the Marcus Neuroscience Institute and Professor of Neurology at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, FL.
Dr. Patricio Espinosa regularly authors scientific publications for medical journals and presents his research around the world. He serves on scientific editorial and advisory boards and performs peer reviews articles.
Alzheimer’s Disease, Dementia, Electromyography, Epilepsy, Headaches/Migraines, Multiple Sclerosis, Neurology, Neuromuscular Disorders, Parkinson’s Disease, Stroke
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
United Council for Neurological Subspecialties in Neuroimaging
Dr. Patricio Espinosa is a Boca Raton neurologist who treats all neurological conditions however he enjoys diagnosing and treating complex neurological conditions.
Universidad Central del Ecuador: Quito, Ecuador – 2000
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY – 2003 -2004 (Internship)
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY – 2004 -2007
Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA – 2007 -2008
American Academy of Psychiatry and Neurology
Awards & Accolades
Castle Connolly Top Neurology Doctors, 2014 – Present
Heroes in Medicine Award recipient Palm Beach County Medical Society, 2017
Kettia Alusma-Hibbert, DNP
Accepts New Patients
List of insurance plans accepted
Read Dr. Patricio Espinosa’s Reviews
801 Meadows Road, Suite 103
Boca Raton, FL 33486
Phone: (561) 788-7545
Fax: (561) 482-1028
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 am- 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
Boca Raton Regional Hospital
Baptist Health South Florida
Research & Clinical Trials
1. Principal Investigator: An Observational Study of Ocrelizumab-Treated Patients with Multiple Sclerosis to Determine the Incidence and Mortality Rates of Breast Cancer and All Malignancies 2021 – ongoing
2. Principal Investigator: Theravance Pharmaceuticals: A Phase 3, 4-week, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Parallel-group Study of TD-9855 in Treating Symptomatic Neurogenic Orthostatic Hypotension in Subjects With Primary Autonomic Failure; Protocol Number 0169 2020-202
3. Sub Investigator: An Open-label, Random 26-Week Study Comparing Levodopa-Carbidopa INteStInal Gel (LCIG) Therapy to Optimized Medical Treatment (OMT) on Non-Motor Symptoms (NMS) in Subjects with Advanced Parkinson’s Disease – INSIGHTS Study AbbVie M12-927 2020-2021
4. Sub Investigator: Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, three-Arm, 12-Month, Safety and Efficacy Study of Hydromethylthionine Mesylate (LMTM) Monotherapy in Subjects with Alzheimer’s disease followed by a 12-Month Open-Label Treatment TRx-237-029 Phase 3 2020 – 2021
5. Sub Investigator: Chase Pharmaceuticals: CTC -002 A Phase 2 Study to evaluate the safety, tolerability and initial efficacy of pramipexole ER, given with aprepitant in patients with idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease 2019 -2020
6. Sub Investigator: Mediti Pharma, Inc. MP101-01 (b) tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, and Efficacy of PM-101 in the Treatment of Patients with Dementia-Related Psychosis and/or Agitation and Aggression 2018 – 2020
7. Principal Investigator: SEP093-701 Efficacy and Safety of Eslicarbazepine Acetate as First Add-on to Levetiracetam or Lamotrigine Monotherapy or as Later Adjunctive Treatment for Subjects with Uncontrolled Partial-onset Seizures: A Multicenter, Open-label, Non-randomized Trial December 2017 –2020 Ongoing. Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Marcus Neuroscience Institute.
8. Principal Investigator: A Retrospective Multicenter Study to Investigate Dosage, Efficacy, and Safety of Fycompa® in Routine Clinical Care of Patients With EpilepsyE2007-G000-506 Eisai 2018
9. Sub Investigator: Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-controlled, Three-Arm, 9-Month, Brain Imaging and Safety and Efficacy Study of Leuco-methylthioninium bis (hydromethanesulfonate) (LMTM) in Subjects with Early Alzheimer’s Disease TRx-237-039 LUCIDITY
10. Sub Investigator: An Open-label, Randomized 26-Week Study Comparing Levodopa-Carbidopa INteStInal Gel (LCIG) THerapy to Optimized Medical Treatment (OMT) on Non-Motor Symptoms (NMS) in Subjects with Advanced Parkinson’s Disease – INSIGHTS Study AbbVie M12-927 – 2018 Tau Therapeutics – 2018-2020
11. Sub Investigator: 1160.189 Randomized, double-blind, Evaluation in Secondary Stroke Prevention comparing the EfficaCy and safety of the oral Thrombin inhibitor dabigatran etexilate (110 mg or 150 mg, oral b.i.d.) versus acetylsalicylic acid (100 mg oral q.d.) in patients with Embolic Stroke of Undetermined Source (RESPECT ESUS). August 2017 – 2020. Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Marcus Neuroscience Institute
12. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; ADS-AMT-PD301: Efficacy and Safety of ADS-5102 (Amantadine Hcl) Extended-Release Capsules for the Treatment of Levodopa Induced Dyskinesia in Parkinson’s Disease Patients (EASE LID Study, ADAMAS). Jul 2014- January 2015.
13. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; ADS-AMT-PD302: Open-Label Safety Study of ADS-5102 (amantadine HCl) Extended-Release Capsules for the Treatment of Levodopa Induced Dyskinesia (EASE LID 2 Study. ADAMAS). Jul 2014- January 2015.
14. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; OS320-3005: A Multicenter, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-blind, 16 Week Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Amantadine HC1 Extended-Release Tablets in Parkinson’s Disease Subjects with Levodopa-Induced Dyskinesias (OSMOTICA)August 2014- January 2015.
15. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; OS32-3006: A Multicenter, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Double-blind, 26 Week Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Amantadine HCl Extended-Release Tablets.
16. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; Biogen 109MS401A: Multicenter, Global, Observational Study to Collect Information on Safety and to Document the Drug Utilization of Tecfidera™ (Dimethyl Fumarate) When Used in Routine Medical Practice in the Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis (ESTEEM) OPTUMInsight. Apr 2014- January 2015
17. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; NOH401: PHOENIX: A clinical study of patients with symptomatic neurogenic orthostatic HypOtENsion to assess sustaIned effects of droXidopa therapy. (Chelsea Therapeutics, Inc) September 2013- January 2015
18. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; N01358: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter, Parallel-Group Study To Evaluate The Efficacy And Safety Of Brivaracetam In Subjects (≥16 To 80 Years Old) With Partial Onset Seizures. (UCB) June 2013- January 2015
19. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; N01379: An Open-Label, Multicenter, Follow-up Study to Evaluate the Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of Brivaracetam Used as Adjunctive Treatment in Subjects Aged 16 Years or Older with Epilepsy. (UCB) June 2013- January 2015.
20. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; CTAP101-CL-3001. A Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of CTAP101 Capsules to Treat Secondary Hyperparathyroidism in Subjects with Stage 3 or 4 Chronic Kidney Disease and Vitamin D Insufficiency (OPKO). May 2013- January 2015
21. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; CFTY720D2312, A 12-month, randomized, rater- and dose-blinded study to compare the efficacy and safety of fingolimod 0.25 mg and 0.5 mg administered orally once daily with glatiramer acetate 20 mg administered subcutaneously once daily in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (Novartis). December 2012- January 2015.
22. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; Protocol SP0980 a Prospective, Multinational, Open-Label, Single-Arm, Explorative Study to Evaluate The tolerability and Efficacy of Lacosamide when added to Levetiracetam with the withdrawal of the concomitant Sodium Channel Blocking Antiepileptic Drug in subjects with uncontrolled Partial-Onset Seizures. (UCB)- October 2011 – January 2015
23. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; Protocol CFTY720D2403. Long-term, Prospective, Observational, Multinational, Parallel-Cohort Study monitoring safety in patients with MS newly started with Fingolimod once daily or treated with another approved disease-modifying therapy. (Novartis) August 2011 – January 2015.
24. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; Sunovion 093-045/ Double-Blind, Randomized, Historical Control Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Eslicarbazepine Acetate Monotherapy in Subjects with Partial Epilepsy Not Well Controlled by Current Antiepileptic Drugs study. September 7, 2011- January 2015.
25. Principal Investigator: ECommunity Research, LLC; Sunovion, Inc., Protocol 093-050 Long-Term Eslicarbazepine Acetate Extension Study. September 8, 2011- 12, January 2015
26. Principal Investigator: North Oaks Neurology; CFTY720DUS01 EPOC A 6-month, Randomized, Open-label, Patient Outcomes, Safety and Tolerability Study of Fingolimod (FTY720) 0.5 mg/Day vs. Comparator in Patients With Relapsing Forms of Multiple Sclerosis (EPOC) (Novartis) January 2011 – December 2012.
27. Principal Investigator: North Oaks Neurology; Droxidopa-304: A Multi-Center, Open-Label Study to Assess the Long-term Safety of Droxidopa in Subjects with Primary Autonomic Failure, Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase Deficiency or Non-Diabetic Neuropathy and Symptomatic Neurogenic Orthostatic Hypotension. (Chelsea Therapeutics) June 22, 2010 – December 2012.
28. Principal Investigator: North Oaks Neurology; NOH306: A Multi-Center, Double-Blind, Randomized, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Study To Assess The Clinical Effect Of Droxipoda In The Treatment Of Symptomatic Neurogenic Orthostatic Hypotension In Patients With Parkinson’s Disease (Chelsea Therapeutics) April 12, 2010 – December 2012.
29. Principal Investigator and Co-Director: Prevalencia y Factores de Riesgo de las Demencias y la Enfermedad de Alzheimer en el Ecuador. Proyecto FARYPDEA – 400K award SENACYT – PIC-08-0000-444 Unidad de Neurociencias, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas Universidad Central del Ecuador 2008 – 2011.
30. Principal Investigator: Establishing a Visiting Professorship and Telemedicine-based Partnership between Epilepsy Division, Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) – Harvard Medical School and Epilepsy Interest Centers in Ecuador. American Epilepsy Society – International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) Seed Grant 5,000.00. February 2008 – Present
31. Sub-Investigator: (PI: Dr. Andy Andrew Herzog at BIDMC, Dr. Barbara Dworetzky and Dr. Edward Bromfield BWH Epilepsy and Clinical Neurophysiology Division, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) – Harvard Medical School. May 2008 – December 2008.
32. Principal Investigator: Vitamin intake in patients taking long-term Antiepileptic drugs. University of Kentucky and Veteran Affairs (VA) Medical Center. June 2007- Dec 2008.
33. Principal Investigator: Prevalence and risk factors for Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in Ecuador. University of Kentucky, K-30 Program, Unidad de Neurociencias, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas,Universidad Central del Ecuador August 2005- July 2008.
34. Sub-Investigator: (PI: Dr. Meriem K. Bensalem-Owen, Epilepsy Program, UK) “A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Study, with Optional Open-Label Continuation, of the Efficacy and Safety of Vanquix™ Auto-Injector (Diazepam Injection) for the Management of Selected, Refractory, Patients with Epilepsy who Require Intermittent Medical Intervention to Control Episodes of Acute Repetitive Seizures”(Protocol K826-05-3001.King Pharmaceuticals Research and Development, Inc., January 2006-December 2007.
35. Sub-Investigator: (Dr. Meriem K. Bensalem-Owen, Epilepsy Program, UK) A Double-Blind Trial Comparing Efficacy, Tolerability and Safety of Monotherapy Topiramate and Phenytoin in Subjects with Seizures Indicative of new-onset Epilepsy.( Protocol CAPSS-272) ORTHO-MCNEIL. January 2006- December 2007.
36. Sub-Investigator: (Dr. Toufic Fakhoury PI, Epilepsy Program Director, UK) An open-label extension trial to determine safety and efficacy of long-term oral SPM 927 in patients with partial seizures. Schwarz Biosciences ( Protocol SP 756). December 2005– December 2007.
37. Sub-Investigator: (Dr. Toufic Fakhoury PI, Epilepsy Program Director, UK) An Open-Label Trial to Investigate the Safety and Tolerability of Intravenous SPM 927 as a replacement for Oral SPM 927 in Subjects with Partial Seizures with or without Secondary Generalization. Schwarz Biosciences (Protocol SP 757). January 2005 – December 2007.
38. Sub-Investigator: (Dr. Toufic Fakhoury PI, Epilepsy Program Director, UK) A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Parallel-Group Trial to Investigate the Efficacy and Safety of SPM 927 (400 and 600mg/day) as Adjunctive Therapy in Subjects with Partial Seizures with or without Secondary Generalization. Schwarz Biosciences (Protocol SP 754). December 2005- December 2007.
39. Sub-Investigator: (Dr. Toufic Fakhoury PI, Epilepsy Program Director, UK) Protocol E2007-A001-206 A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Dose-Escalation, Parallel-Group Study Of E2007 Given As Adjunctive Therapy In Patients With Refractory Partial Seizures. January 2005- December 2007.
40. Sub-Investigator: (Dr. Toufic Fakhoury PI, Epilepsy Program Director, UK) A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Parallel-group Evaluation of LAMICTAL Extended-release Adjunctive Therapy in Subjects with Partial Seizures. (protocol LAM 100034). Glaxo SmithKline. August 2004 – Present.
41. Clinical Research Assistant: Estrogen Deficiency, Hyperhomocysteinemia and Stroke in Women. PI: Dr. Houta Sabet. Stroke Program Department of Neurology and Center on Aging. November 19, 2003 – December 9, 2003, University of Kentucky. Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
42. Clinical Research Assistant: Alzheimer Disease Cooperative Study. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy with Vitamin E plus Donepezil, HCL (Aricept) to Delay Clinical Progression from MCI to AD. PI Dr. Frederick Schmitt. ADRC, San Diego, California. July 1, 2002, July 31, 2003. University of Kentucky. Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
43. Clinical Research Assistant: Memory Disorders Clinic and Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center, Sanders-Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, Lexington. July 1, 2002- December 9, 2003. Neurological and psychological testing. Data collection, entry and analysis.
44. Sub–Investigator: (Dr. Thomas Young PI, Professor of Pediatrics, UK) Partners of the Americas, University of Kentucky Project Health services and education for the community of Juan Veinte y Tres. “Proyecto Vidas Sanas 23”. August 2002 – 2007.
45. Research Assistant: Evaluation Intellectual Quotient related with Fe deficiencies in Scholars in Santo Domingo de los Colorados. Ecuador. Octubre 18 de1998- Octubre 18 de1999, Universidad Central del Ecuador, School of Medicine. Neuroscience Department, Principal Investigator: Dr. Patricio Espinosa del Pozo; Activities: Auxiliary Research, Data Collection, Interpretation, Analysis, Drawn blood samples.
46. Research Assistant: Risk Factors for Epilepsy and Neurocysticercosis Quito-Ecuador 10/1996-10/1997 Universidad Central del Ecuador, School of Medicine. Neuroscience Department. Principal Investigators: Dr. Patricio Espinosa del Pozo & Dr. Marcelo Cruz. Activities: Research Assistant. Data Collection, Interpretation, Analysis and Drawn blood samples.
Pub med keyword: “Espinosa PS” available at pubmed.gov
1. Ortiz-Prado E, Mascialino G, Paz C, Rodriguez-Lorenzana A, Gómez-Barreno L, Simbaña-Rivera K, Diaz AM, Coral-Almeida M, Espinosa PS. A Nationwide Study of Incidence and Mortality Due to Traumatic Brain Injury in Ecuador (2004-2016). Neuroepidemiology. 2020;54(1):33-44. doi: 10.1159/000502580. Epub 2019 Aug 28. PMID: 31461702.
2. Espinosa Del Pozo PH, Espinosa PS, Donadi E, Rogel L, Naranjo R, Haro GE, Riera DC, Mendoza GS, Garzón NA, Andrade NF. Detecting Cognitive Decline and Dementia in Santa Cruz, Galápagos Islands, Ecuador. Cureus. 2020 Oct 6;12(10):e10826. doi: 10.7759/cureus.10826. PMID: 33173633; PMCID: PMC7645294.
3. Espinosa PS, Rizvi Z, Sharma P, Hindi F, Filatov A. Neurological Complications of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Encephalopathy, MRI Brain and Cerebrospinal Fluid Findings: Case 2. Cureus. 2020 May 2;12(5):e7930. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7930. PMID: 32499974; PMCID: PMC7266087.
4. Filatov A, Sharma P, Hindi F, Espinosa PS. Neurological Complications of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Encephalopathy. Cureus. 2020 Mar 21;12(3):e7352. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7352. PMID: 32328364; PMCID: PMC7170017.
5. Filatov A, Khanni JL, Alusma-Hibbert K, Espinosa PS. Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease: Case Report and Literature Review. Cureus. 2020 Apr 21;12(4):e7767. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7767. PMID: 32461843; PMCID: PMC7243655.
6. Herard K, Khanni JL, Alusma-Hibbert K, Samuels CR, Espinosa PS. Neurological Disorders Associated with Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibodies. Cureus. 2019 May 23;11(5):e4738. doi: 10.7759/cureus.4738. PMID: 31355097; PMCID: PMC6649892.
7. Rankine KA, Filatov A, Sharma P, Alusma-Hibbert K, Espinosa PS. Delayed Identification of Cortical Superficial Siderosis in a Patient with Recurrent Transient Focal Neurological Symptoms: A Case Report. Cureus. 2019 Jul 23;11(7):e5211. doi: 10.7759/cureus.5211. PMID: 31565615; PMCID: PMC6758969.
8. Filatov A, Khanni JL, Espinosa PS. Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy: Case Report and Literature Review. Cureus. 2020 Apr 20;12(4):e7745. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7745. PMID: 32454526; PMCID: PMC7241220.
9. Naum R, Filatov A, Alusma-Hibbert K, Espinosa PS. Pulmonary Edema and Stunned Myocardium in Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Cureus. 2020 Apr 20;12(4):e7746. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7746. PMID: 32455064; PMCID: PMC7241227.
10. Brenner J, LeBlang S, Lizotte-Waniewski M, Schmidt B, Espinosa PS, DeMets DL, Newberg A, Hennekens CH. Mindfulness with paced breathing reduces blood pressure. Med Hypotheses. 2020 Sep;142:109780. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2020.109780. Epub 2020 Apr 22. PMID: 32353795.
11. Gonzalez H H, Rane M, Cioci A, Goodman S and Espinosa PS (March 12, 2019) Disseminated Central Nervous System Histoplasmosis: A Case Report. Cureus 11(3): e4238. doi:10.7759/cureus.4238
12. Samuels CR, Khanni JL, Barkley K, Azhar M, Espinosa PS. Case Report: An Incidental Finding of Fahr’s Disease in a Patient with Hypochondria. Cureus. 2018
Dec 1;10(12):e3668. doi: 10.7759/cureus.3668. PubMed PMID: 30761221; PubMed
Central PMCID: PMC6367120.
13. Espinosa PH, Espinosa PS, Donadi E A, et al. (September 07, 2018) Cognitive Decline in Adults Aged 65 and Older in Cumbayá, Quito, Ecuador: Prevalence and Risk Factors. Cureus 10(9): e3269. doi:10.7759/cureus.3269
14. Khanni J L, Casale J A, Koek A Y, Espinosa PS, Espinosa, PH. (September 10, 2018) Artery of Percheron Infarct: An Acute Diagnostic Challenge with a Spectrum of Clinical Presentations. Cureus 10(9): e3276. doi:10.7759/cureus.3276
15. Manam R, Martin J L, Gross J A, Espinosa PS, et al. (September 27, 2018) Case Reports of Pembrolizumab-induced Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy. Cureus 10(9): e3371. doi:10.7759/cureus.3371 PMCID: PMC6257738.
16. Koek A Y, Espinosa PS. Ave Maria and Visions of Children: Atypical Charles Bonnet Syndrome or Two Coexisting Deafferentation Phenomena?. Cureus 10(8): e3191. doi:10.7759/cureus.3191 August 23, 2018
17. Stein A A, Vrionis F, Espinosa PS, and Moskowitz S. Report of an Isolated L5 Radiculopathy Caused by an L2-3 Disc Herniation and Review of the Literature. Cureus 10(4): e2552. doi:10.7759/cureus.2552. April 30, 2018.
18. Alberto Maud, Tatiana Chacon-Quesada, Luis Ramos-Duran, Salvador Cruz-Flores, Espinosa PS , Gustavo J. Rodriguez. Symptomatic focal cerebral arteriopathy in a young man Journal of Pediatric Neuroradiology 3 (2014) 147–151
19. Espinosa PS, MD, MPH; Patricio H. Espinosa, MD; Alberto G. Basantes, MD; Roberto M. Velez, MD; German A. Echeverría, MD; Marta S. Mendiondo, PhD; Frederick A. Schmitt, PhD; Gregory A. Jicha, MD, PhD; Richard J. Kryscio, PhD, James E. Galvin, MD; Charles D. Smith, MD. Validation Study of the AD8 and CDR Spanish Versions for Detecting Dementia in Ecuador Kentucky Medical Journal February 2013/Vol 111 (5-11).
20. Patricio H. Espinosa del Pozo, Espinosa PS, Yaira R. Garzon, Roberto M. Velez, Ernesto V. Batallas, Alberto Basantes, Jazmín N. Betancourt, Gisella N. Zurita, Alexis S. Aguilar, Juan Carlos Salazar Uribe, Gregory A. Jicha, Frederick A. Schmitt, Marta S. Mendiondo, Richard J. Kryscio, James E Galvin and Charles D. Smith. Factores de riesgo y prevalencia de la demencia y enfermedad de Alzheimer en Pichincha – Ecuador (Estudio FARYPDEA) Rev Fac Cien Med (Quito) 2012; 37 (1-2)
21. Laccheo I, Espinosa PS. International Issues: Neurology mission in the Ecuadorian Amazon rainforest. Neurology. 2012 Feb 28;78(9):e60-2. PubMed PMID: 22371418.
22. Espinosa PS, Berger JB., Delay Fingolimod Associated Asystole Journal of Multiple Sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis Journal Mult Scler. 2011 Jun 7. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21652609.
23. Espinosa PS, Espinosa PH, Smith CD, Berger JB. Contralateral Optic Neuritis Following Silicone Oil Endotamponade For Retinal Detachment Journal of Neurology & Neurophysiology Neurol Neurophysiol 2011, 2:112 doi: 10.4172/2155-9562.1000112. April 4, 2011.
24. Espinosa PS, Perez, DL., Abner, E., and Ryan, M. Association of Antiepileptic Drugs, Vitamin D, and Calcium Supplementation with Bone Fracture Occurrence in Epilepsy Patients. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2011 Apr 18. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21507568
25. Espinosa PS, Bensalem-Owen, MK, and Fee, DB. Sporadic Creutzfeldt – Jakob disease presenting as Nonconvulsive Status Epilepticus Case Report and Review of the Literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2010 Jul;112(6):537-40. Epub 2010 Apr 28.
26. Espinosa PS, Lee JW, Tedrow UB, Dworetzky BA. Effects of Seizures on Cardiac Function. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2010 Apr;27(2):139. PMID: 20375715
27. Karakis I, Montouris GD, Otis JA, Douglass LM, Jonas R, Velez-Ruiz N, Wilford K, Espinosa PS. A quick and reliable EEG montage for the detection of seizures in the critical care setting. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2010 Apr;27(2):100-5. 20234318
28. Espinosa PS, Lee JW, Tedrow UB, Bromfield, EB, Dworetzky, BA. Sudden Unexpected Near Death in Epilepsy (SUNDEP): Malignant ventricular arrhythmia from a partial seizure. Neurology 2009 May 12;72(19):1702-3. PMID: 19433745.
29. Das RR, Lucey BP, Chou SH, Espinosa PS, Zamani AA, Dworetzky BA, Bromfield EB, Lee JW. The Utility of Conductive Plastic Electrodes in Prolonged ICU EEG Monitoring. Neurocrit Care. 2008 Sep 20. PMID: 18807217
30. Espinosa PS, Salazar JC, Yu L, Mendiondo M, Robertson WC, Baumann RJ. Lack of Valproic Acid Associated Weight Gain in Pre-Pubral Children. Pediatr Neurol. 2008 Sep;39(3):177-80. PMID: 18725062
31. Espinosa PS, Baumann RJ, Vaishnav AG. Elastosis Perforans Serpiginosa, Down Syndrome and Moyamoya Disease. A case report. Pediatric Neurology Journal Pediatr Neurol. 2008 Apr;38(4):287-8. PMID: 18358411
32. Espinosa PS, Pettigrew LC, Berger JR. Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia and spinal cord infarct: A case report with a review of the neurological complications of HHT. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2008 Feb 25; PMID: 18304727
33. Espinosa PS. One and a Half Syndrome in a patient with Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology. 2008 Jan 29;70(5):e20.
34. Baumann RJ, Espinosa PS. Neuroepidemiology of HIV/AIDS. Handb Clin Neurol. 2007;85:3-31. PMID: 18808973
35. Espinosa PS, Espinosa PH, Choudry Bilal, Wilbourn R, Vaishnav AG. Pituitary hypoplexy a Medical Emergency. J Ky Med Assoc. 2007 Nov;105(11):543-44. PMID: 18183804.
36. Espinosa PS, Berger JR. Acute central cord syndrome with bodybuilder sign. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2007 Jan 12; PMID: 17224234
37. Espinosa PS, Smith CD, Berger JR. Alien hand syndrome. Neurology. 2006 Dec 26;67(12): E21. PMID: 17190927
38. Ryan M, Romanelli F, Nee JK, Anochie L, Espinosa PS. Characteristics of participants enrolled in a Quit and Win smoking cessation program. J Ky Med Assoc. 2006 Oct;104(10):469-74. PMID: 17087044
39. Espinosa PS, Smith CD, Berger JR. Homonymous hemianopsia complicating treatment of postoperative epistaxis. Neurology. 2006 Oct 10;67(7):1305. PMID: 17030776
40. Espinosa PS, Kryscio RJ., Mendiondo MS, Schmitt FA, Wekstein DR, Markesbery WR and Smith, CD; Alzheimer’s Disease and Head Circumference J Alzheimers Dis. 2006;9(1):77-80. PMID: 16627937
41. Espinosa PS, and Berger J.R; Volitional Opsoclonus, Neuro-images, Neurology. 2005 Sep 13;65(5): E11. PMID: 16157893
42. Berger JR, Espinosa PS, Kissel J. Brachial amyotrophic diplegia in a patient with human immunodeficiency virus infection: widening the spectrum of motor neuron diseases occurring with the human immunodeficiency virus. Arch Neurol. 2005 May;62(5):817-23. Review. PMID: 15883271
43. Espinosa del Pozo, P., Prado.R., Espinosa PS, : La Cefalea, el Dolor de Cabeza en el Deporte, Medicina del Deporte, Volumen 1, N.-1 Dic 1997.Ed. IDEAS:
44. Espinosa PS, Garzón Y., Neurocisticercosis : Epidemiología , Prevención y Tratamiento. ED Unidad Neurociencias Vol 5 . Universidad Central, Quito- Ecuador. 1999.
45. Espinosa del Pozo .P. y Espinosa PS- La Producción Científica en la Facultad de Ciencias Médicas de la U.C. del Ecuador. Ed. Facultad de Ciencias Médicas U.C. 2000 Quito-Ecuador.
46. Espinosa PS: Propuesta de Reforma Académica para la Escuela de Medicina de la Universidad Central del Ecuador, Ed. Estudiantil. Quito 1999.
1. Espinosa PS, and Charles D. Smith. Focus on Neuroimaging: Neurology Self-Assessment Paperback: 352 pages Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1 edition (April 1, 2009) Language: English, ISBN-10: 0781799120, ISBN-13: 978-0781799126
1. Espinosa, P.S. Epilepsy Chapters: Absence Seizures, Generalized Tonic-Clonic seizures, Febrile seizures, Partial Seizures, and Status epilepticus. Ferri: Ferri’s Clinical Advisor. Elsevier editions: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
2. Espinosa, P.S., and Berger, J.R. The Neurological complications of HIV. Clinical Neurology, Editors: Jaime Toro and Manuel Yépez, Publication in Spanish, 2010.
3. Espinosa, P.S., and Baumann, R.J: The Neuro-Epidemiology of HIV-AIDS. The Handbook of Clinical Neurology Series, 3rd Edition, Elsevier 2007.
4. Espinosa del Pozo .P., Espinosa. PS.- NEUROCIENCIAS: El Sistema Nervioso Visceral o Autónomo . Cap 4. Ed IDEAS Mayo 1999 .Quito – Ecuador.
Poster – Abstract Presentations:
1. Manam R, Chaudhary D, Martin J, Gross J, Espinosa PS, Sajeel Chowdhary S, Santos E Pembrolizumab-induced Acute Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy: A Case Series. 2017 Annual Residents & Medical Students Meeting September 7-9, 2018 Tampa, Florida.
2. Daniel SM, Torres D, Girshman Y, Espinosa PS. Temperamental Temporal Lobe: All Psychosis aren’t created equal 2017 Annual Residents & Medical Students Meeting March 4, 2017, Orlando, Florida.
3. Espinosa PS, Renato Sotelo, Armand Golchin, Rima Bakhda, Jose Valdes and Patricio Espinosa Del Pozo. Perampanel as an Adjunctive Treatment in 3 Patients with Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) with Refractory Seizures (P2.057) April 16, 2016, Vancouver, Canada.
4. Espinosa PS, Dominic Fee, Karin Swartz, Esteban Ortiz-Prado, Holly Pobolish, Kevin Shapiro, Robert Baumann, Blanca Vasquez, Patricio Espinosa Del Pozo and Barbara Dworetzky. Decreasing the Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Developing World: The Epilepsy Medical Mission to the Amazon rain forest in Tena, Ecuador Report 2009-2015 (P1.270) April 16, 2016. Vancouver, Canada.
5. Espinosa PS, Ryan S. High Amplitude F waves and Stiff-Person Syndrome. AANEM 60th Annual Meeting October 16-19, 2013, San Antonio, TX
6. Espinosa PS, et al. Decreasing the Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Developing World: The Epilepsy Medical Mission to the Amazon rain forest in Tena, Ecuador Report 2009 – 2012. Presented at the 65th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology. San Diego, CA, March 16-23, 2013.
7. Espinosa PS, Falcone, NM, et al Decreasing the Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Developing World: The Epilepsy Medical Mission to the Amazon rain forest in Tena, Ecuador Report 2009 – 2012. The 7th Latin American Congress in Epilepsy (LACE) Quito, Ecuador from the 14th – 17th November 2012.
8. Patricio S. Espinosa, Nicole M. Falcone, Ikuko Laccheo, David Masel, Angel S. Bayas, Erica Cárdenas, Heather Deutsch, Aaron L. Berkowitz, Alcy R. Torres, Kathleen M. Principe, Kim George, Dominic B. Fee, Karin R. Swartz, Sydney S. Cash, Blanca R.Vasquez, Alexander R Paciorkowski, Hailly Butler, Robert J. Baumann, Stephen J. Ryan, Barbara A. Dworetzky. Decreasing the Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Developing World: The Epilepsy Medical Mission to the Amazon rain forest in Tena, Ecuador 2011. To be presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting in Baltimore, MD. December 2011.
9. Patricio H. Espinosa del Pozo, Patricio S. Espinosa, Yaira R. Garzon, Roberto M. Velez, Ernesto V. Batallas, Alberto Basantes, Jazmin N. Betancourt, Gisella N. Zurita, Alexis S. Aguilar, Gregory A. Jicha, Frederick A. Schmitt, Marta S. Mendiondo, Richard J. Kryscio, James E Galvin, Charles D. Smith. Title: Risk Factors and Prevalence of Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease in Pichincha, Ecuador – FARYPDEA Study Part 1. Presented at American Academy of Neurology 61st Annual Hawaii, HI, April 9-16, 2009. Neurology Volume 76, Number 9 Supplement 4. P02.116 A120, March 1, 2011.
10. Espinosa, PS, Nicole M. Falcone, Esteban Ortiz, Andres Salom, Aaron L. Berkowitz, Sydney S. Cash, Blanca R. Vasquez, Barbara A. Dworezky, Robert J. Baumann. Decreasing the Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Ecuador Amazon Region. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, San Antonio, Texas Dec 3-7 December 2010.
11. Espinosa, PS, Aaron L. Berkowitz, Nicole M. Falcone, Denise Dvorquez, Kathleen M. Principe, William Principe, Melissa M. Murphy, Christopher Shanahan, Ann Kao, Dominic B. Fee, Karin R. Swartz, Blanca R. Vasquez and Sydney S. Cash. The Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Ecuadorian Amazon. Presented at the American Academy of Neurology 62nd Annual Meeting Toronto, Canada April 10, 2010. Neurology 2010;74:A173.
12. Espinosa, PS, Aaron L. Berkowitz, Nicole M. Falcone, Denise Dvorquez, Kathleen M. Principe, William Principe, Melissa M. Murphy, Christopher Shanahan, Ann Kao, Dominic B. Fee, Karin R. Swartz, Sydney S. Cash, Blanca R. Vasquez. Where there are no Neurologists: Decreasing the Epilepsy Treatment Gap in the Amazon. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Boston Dec 4-8 December 2009. Epilepsia, Volume 50, Issue s11 (p 328-482)
13. Elkersh, M and Espinosa, PS. V2 And V3 Stimulation For Pain Related To Trigeminal Neuralgia In A Patient With Multiple Sclerosis. Presented at the 2009 NANS Annual Meeting December 3-6, 2009 Las Vegas, Nevada.
14. Espinosa, PS, Lee JW, Tedrow UB, Bromfield, EB, Dworetzky, BA. Sudden Unexpected Near Death in Epilepsy (SUNDEP): Malignant ventricular arrhythmia from a partial seizure. Presented at the American Academy of Neurology 61st Annual Meeting Seattle, WA April 30, 2009.
15. Espinosa, PS, Khosbin S; Does alpha asymmetry correlate with brain torque? Presented at the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society Annual Meeting, March 7th, 2009 Lake Buena Vista – Orlando, FL.
16. Espinosa PS, Das RR, Lucey BP, Karakis I, and Kennedy KA. A Seven Electrode Montage EEG as a Potential Screening Tool for Emergency Situations. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Seattle Dec 5-9 December 2008.
17. Karakis I, Montouris G, Douglass L, Jonas R, Velez-Ruiz N, Otis J, Espinosa PS. A quick and reliable EEG montage for the on-call neurology resident to detect seizures in the ICU. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Seattle Dec 5-9 December 2008.
18. Espinosa PS, Abner E, Das RR, Lucey BP, Mendiondo M, Kennedy KA and Ryan M. Association of Antiepileptic Drugs, Vitamin D, and Calcium Supplementation with Occurrence of Fractures in Patients with Epilepsy. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Seattle, Dec 5-9 December 2008.
19. Das, RR, Brendan PL, Chou S, Espinosa PS, Zamani AA, Dworetzky BA, Bromfield EB, Lee JW. MRI-Compatible Conductive Plastic Electrodes are Feasible and Safe in Prolonged ICU Electroencephalographic Monitoring. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Seattle Dec 4-9 December 2008.
20. Brendan Lucey, J. Madsen, Rohit Das, Tracey Milligan, Espinosa PS, Ellen Bubrick, B. Dworetzky, and E. Bromfield. Use of Intraventricular Hippocampal Electrocorticography in Post-Resection And Re-Resection Temporal Lobe Epilepsy Patients. Epilepsia 0 Suppl. 0 (Abst. 2.262 ), 2008 Presented at the American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Seattle Dec 4-9 December 2008.
21. Espinosa, PS, Erin Abner, MPH., Marta S. Mendiondo, PhD. Fractures in Patients with Epilepsy and its Association with Vitamin D, Calcium Supplementation and Occurrence of Bone fractures in Veterans. Cobb Assembly Boston Society of Neurology and Psychiatry, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, May 1, 2008, Boston, MA.
22. Espinosa, PS, Erin Abner, MPH., Marta S. Mendiondo, PhD. Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation and Occurrence of Bone Fractures in Patients with Epilepsy American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting Chicago, April 15, 2008. PO2.068 Selected for “Epilepsy/EEG Scientific Topic Highlights” at the 60th AAN Annual Meeting. April 17, 2008.
23. Espinosa, PS, Marta S. Mendiondo, PhD, Erin Abner, MPH, Frederick A. Schmitt PhD, Gregory A. Jicha, MD, PhD, Charles D. Smith MD, Richard J. Kryscio, PhD, and Patricio H. Espinosa, MD , Alberto G. Basantes, MD, Roberto M. Velez, MD, German A. Echeverria, MD, Fabricio O. Suarez, MD. Detecting Dementia in Ecuador Using the AD8 and CDR Evaluations Presented at the American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting Chicago, April 15, 2008. PO2.108. Neurology. 2008 March Sup 1, 70(11): A77
24. Espinosa, PS, Marta S. Mendiondo, PhD, Erin Abner, MPH, Frederick A. Schmitt PhD, Gregory A. Jicha, MD, PhD, Charles D. Smith, MD, Richard J. Kryscio, PhD, and Patricio H. Espinosa, MD, Alberto G. Basantes, MD, Roberto M. Velez, MD, German A. Echeverria, MD, Fabricio O. Suarez, MD, Xavier E. Godoy, MD. A Case-Control Study for Screening Dementia in Ecuador CTS Spring Conference University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, June 12, 2007.
25. Espinosa, P.S. Salazar, JC Yu, l, Marta, MS; Robertson, WC and Baumann, RJ. Lack of Valproic Associated Weight Gain in Pre−Pubertal Children. 58th American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA, April the 6th 2006. ( abstract and poster presentation). Neurology. 2006 March Sup 2, 66(5): A266
26. Espinosa, P.S., Kryscio R.J., Mendiondo M. S., Schmitt F.A., Wekstein D.R., Markesbery W.R. Alzheimer’s Disease and Head Circumference. Second Annual Dementia Congress Poster Presenter Washington DC, USA September 12-14 2003. Winner 1st prize “Best Poster Award”.
1. Espinosa, PS. MD, MPH; Lee, Jong W. MD, PhD; Tedrow, Usha B. MD; Dworetzky, Barbara A. MD. Effects of Seizures on Cardiac Function. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 27(2):139, April 2010. Letter to the editor.
2. Espinosa, PS. Interview: An Epileptologist Brings EEG to the Ecuadorian Amazon Jungle. Neurology Today 3 December 2009; Volume 9(23); p 36. Reporter: Elizabeth Stump.
3. Espinosa, PS. Interview: Conflicting Results for Brivaracetam in Partial-Onset Seizures. Medscape Medical News. December 6, 2009. Boston, MA. Reporter: Allison Gandey. Available at medscape.com
4. Espinosa, PS, Lee JW, Tedrow UB, Bromfield, EB, Dworetzky, BA. Correspondence Author Reply to Michel J.M. Dupuis, Frédéric Evrard, Kenou van Rijckevorsel. Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy Patients (SUDEP) and Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy. Neurology correspondence. NEUROLOGY 2010;74:181-182
5. Espinosa, P.S.: Image of the Month: An atypical presentation of Criptpcocous Meningitis. Image of the Month Clinical Neurology News, April 2007 (Vol. 3, Issue 4, Page 1)
6. Espinosa, P.S.: CNS News & Medscape-Neurology: Epilepsy Diagnosis and Management: Valproic Acid not associated with weight gain in prepubertal children. Reporter Andrew N. Wilner, MD. March 2006. Available at medscape.com
7. Espinosa, P.S.: Perdida de la Memoria, Normal con la edad? Revista Actualidad Vol1. No 5, 2004, Lexington, Ky.
• Deputy Editor Cureus Journal, November 2018 – Present https://www.cureus.com/channels/marcus-neuro
• Member of the Editorial Board and Reviewer: Journal of Multiple Sclerosis – OMICS publishing group. 2013 – Present http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/editorialboard-multiple-sclerosis-open-access.php
• Member of the Editorial Board and Reviewer: Journal of Neurology and Neurophysiology – OMICS publishing group. 2010 – Present http://www.omicsonline.org/EditorialboardJNN.php
• Reviewer: Neurology Journal. Journal of the American Academy of Neurology (Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins) 2007 – Present
• Reviewer: Journal of Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery (Elsevier) 2006 – Present
• Associate Editor: Journal of Alzheimer Disease 2005- January 2007
• Editor: Médicos Promoción 2000, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Central del Ecuador. May 2001, #001
Patricio S. Espinosa, MD is a neurologist located at Boca Raton, Florida. You can contact his office for an appointment at (561) 482-1027.